Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Adventure Begins!

My hospital stay was one of the most intensely bittersweet few days I have had in a long time. Here I am, holding my brand new baby girl, trying to comprehend how deeply blessed I am to have her in my life. At the same time, every time a nurse/midwife/staff member walked into my room, I was having to say good-bye. I cannot explain how greatly I love the hospital I have worked at for the last two years. I have made friends for life, had so many incredible experiences, and all the while, established the early foundation of my practice as a labor and delivery nurse and future midwife. It was so sad and emotional for me to have to bid this place farewell, as we anticipate a move to Kentucky.
(Me with my midwife Ginny, and fellow nurses, Nikia, Jessica, Val, and Whitney.)
One fun thing to keep my mind off of saying dozens of good-byes was watching Grant become an instantly incredible dad. :) Here he is, changing his first meconium diaper!
Success!
Below is a picture Grant thinks should be in a medical textbook. Ha. The nurse pictured is Lisa, my labor nurse. If anyone should be in a textbook, it is her! She was fabulous and I felt bonded to her ten times more than I had before - and I really liked her before! I am so grateful she was with me. The baby did have a bilirubin level that was on the line, so we decided to have her spend a few hours under phototherapy lights since we were getting ready to travel to Kansas the next week. We didn't want to let it get out of hand.
Once her levels were down, we headed on out. After many tears saying good-bye - poor Grant, dealing with his hormones-plummeting-already-emotional-postpartum wife - we left the hospital. Look at that precious thing in her car seat for the first time! So sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment